Search This Blog

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Pulled Chicken



Last vacation my hubbies' mother came by to visit the children as well as with them they brought a gift for me.  Getting a present for no reason feels great in itself, but it's even better when it's something you've wanted for over 2 years.  It was a slow cooker.  

There's nothing I could have wanted more.  Seriously!  I had actually asked my husband for one last Valentine's Day and he just laughed and obviously I didn't get one.  And there's nothing I could have needed more (hello...being at home with twins all day who no longer nap).  

They could have given me a car and I honestly wouldn't have been as excited.  Funny story though, right before my twins were born they did actually bring over a car for me.  Unfortunately it was stolen off my driveway one night.  Anyway, my point is that you can get from point A to point B with or without a car, but you can't get pulled boneless skinless chicken breast without a slow cooker.

You may be wondering why I never purchased one myself if I wanted one so badly.  It's because I kind of have a secret fear of kitchen appliances.  I always have problems using them.  Things never seem to work out and there's always so many pieces to clean.  I have cupboards full of fancy kitchen appliances from when I got married that I never use.  


Everything I do is done by hand. But here was this slow cooker sitting on my counter (because I have nowhere to put due to all the other non-used kitchen appliances taking up all the space in my cupboards) so I figured I would give it a try.

Guess what?  Easiest thing to use and I have no clue how I lived without one all these years.  Not to mention it can take boring chicken breasts (something we eat often in my house) and turn them into something amazingly delicious.  

I couldn't decide what to make first, but I ended up going with honey sesame pulled chicken, which was so good I couldn't stop eating it. My husband and kids had it over rice and I had it over a mix of sautéed bean sprouts, coleslaw mix and broccoli.  Because the slow cooker they gave me is so big, I had tons of leftovers, which has been great for lunches as salad toppers and for lettuce wraps.  

If you don't have a slow cooker, you should get one immediately.  If you're intimidated by it like I was, don't be.  If I can use it, anyone can.  Did I mention this dinner only took 5 minutes of my time?  That alone should seal the deal!

Ingredients:
3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Salt, to taste
4 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup water
Garnishes (optional)
Sesame seeds
Green onion, chopped

Directions:
1. Spray slow cooker insert with cooking spray and place chicken breasts inside.  Season with salt. 
2. In bowl, mix together chopped onion, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, minced garlic and red pepper flakes.
3. In separate bowl, mix together cornstarch and water.  Set aside for later.
4. Pour honey mixture over chicken and toss to combine.
5. Place lid on slow cooker, plus in and cook on low for 3 hours and 30 minutes.
6. Remove chicken and place on plate.  Add water and cornstarch mixture to honey mixture in slow cooker, whisk, cover slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes.  
7.  While sauce is thickening, shred chicken.  After 30 minutes place pulled chicken back into slow cooker and let cook in sauce for another 10 minutes.

Nutritional Information:
Servings: 8
Calories 205, total fat 2g, (sat. fat 0g), total carbs 22g, fiber 0.3, sugar 20g, protein 22g

This article is contributed by, Anna Hazlett

No comments:

Post a Comment